Crystal Green Initiatives
We are a 4 Green Key Hotel...
The Crystal Lodge and Suites is proud to announce that on July 3, 2019, we were rated a 4 Green Key property by Green Key Global. The Green Key Eco-Rating Program is a graduated rating system (1-5 keys) designed to recognize hotels that are committed to improving their environmental and fiscal performance. Since being awarded 3 Green Keys back in 2008 and 4 Green Keys in 2010, The Crystal Lodge and Suites has made significant improvements to our green practices and policies. These changes have allowed us to reduce our environmental impact and operating costs through reduced utility consumption, employee training and supply chain management.
Thank you to our Green Team, staff and guests for your continued support! For more information, suggestions or feedback please email Ian Lowe at [email protected]
THE GREEN TEAM
The Crystal Lodge Green Team was formed in 2008. The team consists of 6 department representatives who meet frequently to share guest and staff ideas regarding improvements that we could make to become a greener and more sustainable hotel and workplace. Since its formation, many 'Green Initiatives' have been implemented.
- Free parking for Hybrid vehicles
- Recycling of paper, cardboard, toner cartridges, glass, batteries, plastic and tin/aluminum, soft plastic and cigarette butts
- Recycling bins in all guest rooms and offices
- Energy-efficient lighting in over 75% of the building
- Low flow toilets, shower heads and tap aerators in guest rooms
- Conservation of water and energy with our linen reuse program: 'Hang Your Towel'
- Smart use of recycled paper and double-sided printing in offices
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Use of Energy Star appliances
- Use of waste compactor to reduce the volume of waste going for disposal
- Motion sensors, lights-off, and thermostat policies in place
- Materials/supplies that no longer meet guests' standards are donated to local charities such as Lookout Society
- Support of our community through the Crystal Cares Program
- Staff education and training programs
- Donation of materials/supplies that no longer meet guests standards are donated to local charities
- Participation in Earth Day and Earth Hour and pitch in clean up days
Clean Drinking Water
Did you know that Whistler has some of the highest quality drinking water in the world? You can drink our water right out of the tap making plastic bottles of water unnecessary. The water itself comes from alpine snow that melts into the lakes and streams making it so pure that they require minimal treatment. Whistler is trying to cut down on plastic bottles so we here at the Crystal have installed water bottle drinking stations on each floor to reduce waste, protect our beautiful environment and help tackle climate change. For more information on Whistlers initiative visit whistler.ca/water